Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Ethos, Pathos, Logos Examples from Pride and Prejudice

Ethos:
1. "My dear cousin, being, as I am, to inherit all this estate after the death of your father, I could not satisfy myself without resolving to choose a wife from among his daughters."
2.  "My dear Miss Elizabeth, my situation in life, my connection with the noble family of de Bourgh, are circumstances highly in my favour."

Pathos:
1. "Believe me, my dear Miss Elizabeth, that your modesty adds to your other perfections. But you can hardly doubt the object of my discourse, however your feminine delicacy may lead you to dissemble. For, as almost as soon as I entered the house, I singled you out as the companion of my future life!"
2. "I must attribute it to your wish of increasing my love by suspense,  in the usual manner of elegant females."

Logos:
1. "My reasons for marrying are:
  First, I think it a right thing for every clergyman to set the example of matrimony in his parish.
  Secondly, that I am convinced it will add very greatly to my happiness.
  And thirdly, which perhaps I should have mentioned first..."
2. "Consider that it is by no means certain that another offer of marriage may be made to you. You cannot be serious in your rejection."

1 comment:

  1. Nice examples. It also would have been helpful to include a brief analysis clearly connecting the quotes with the appeals. Your examples were spot on, though.

    ReplyDelete